What is and adaptogenic herb and why do we need them? One may find different explanations to this. In short, they balance, restore, and protect your body. They can boost your immune system, reduce pain from poor health, and increase mental focus and physical endurance. In some cases, they also support a healthy weight. Adaptogen is a combination of ingredients that help the body adapt to new conditions. In situations such as stress or fatigue, adaptogen would keep your body in homeostasis. It is said that adaptogen supports our adrenal system. It is our adrenal system that reacts to stress and anxiety. One of the most common hormones that the adrenals release is cortisol. When cortisol is released, it causes a decrease in digestive juices and an increase in blood pressure. Chronic elevation of cortisol can lead to all sorts of health conditions. It can cause autoimmune disorders, cancers, anxiety, hormone imbalances, thyroid conditions, and irritable bowel syndrome are just to name a few. With that said, it is important to one’s health to support and control these adrenal hormones. Adaptogens are just the key. I would like to explore some of the most common and useful adaptogens.
- American and Asian Ginseng: Ginseng is known to energize the body, improve mental performance, be an antioxidant, and antidepressant.
- Goji Berries: These can help one be energetic and relaxed.
- Holy Basil (tulsi): Holy Basil can boost immunities, fight stress, energize, and regulate blood sugar.
- Ashwaganda: This also boosts immune system, supports thyroid function, and fights anxiety.
- Astragalus Root: Astragalus is an immunity booster and lowers stress.
- Licorice Root: This boosts immunity and energy.
- Rhodiola Rosea (arctic root): This hard worker can buffer physical and mental stress. It is also an antidepressant, antioxidant, and cardio protectant.
- Cordycep Mushroom: Like most mushrooms, it is a strong antioxidant.
- Dang Shen: Dang Shen improves stamina and brain function.
- Schizandra Berry: This berry is good at fighting fatigue and free radical damage.
- Maral Root: Maral is a lesser known herb from Russia. It works in both men and women at increasing mental and physical strength.
- Moringa Oleifera: All parts of the Moringa plant can be used. This plant originates from Southeast Asia. Moringa can reduce swelling, support the immune system, and promote adrenal health.
This list is not inclusive of all the adaptogenic herbs out there, but it is the more commonly used ones. There have been scientific studies done that have been suggestive that adaptogenic herbs may potentially have therapeutic use in age related disorders. In this article we have learned there are many health benefits that can be obtained from adaptogenic herbs not only physically, but mentally also.